Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: 8.10 Problem: System Hangs on Restart/Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by ackounts View Post
    This is the solution:

"Open the file /etc/init.d/alsa-utils with the following command:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils

The file opens in Gedit and around the line 353 you'll find the instruction "stop)". Below this instruction you should add these two instructions:

ifconfig wlan0 down
    ifconfig eth0 down

So, the file should be this way:

stop)
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    ifconfig eth0 down
    EXITSTATUS=0

After doing this, save the file, close it and restart or shutdown Ubuntu and verify if the problem continues."

By Juliano from https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/49799

Bye.
    This did not fix the problem for me either. I tried the file edit with and without the wlan0 instruction and the hang/freeze behavior was the same.

I don't want to remove ALSA, there should be a way to correct this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FireflyCalvin View Post
    This did not fix the problem for me either. I tried the file edit with and without the wlan0 instruction and the hang/freeze behavior was the same.

I don't want to remove ALSA, there should be a way to correct this.
    Open up your terminal and do the folowing:
    Code:
    sodo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    The problem was solved as an update for a month or so. So just upgrade your system!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by PryGuy View Post
    Open up your terminal and do the folowing:
    Code:
    sodo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    The problem was solved as an update for a month or so. So just upgrade your system!
    Thanks for the suggestion PryGuy, but no such luck. Tested after upgrade and then reboot. I even began grep'ing dmesg to see if any errors or failures rung a bell, nothing interesting there.

I even looked at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6459336 because the symptoms were similar. I have an nVidia GeForce 7300GT card and run the 180 version driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are running a bluetooth adaptor, that may prevent Suspend.
    studavis here, (Post 39 & 40). I last reported that suspend was working (apart from having to manually bring up wifi0). The other issues with touchpad etc cleared up after a day. All was working fine but then suspend failed again and has not worked for a month or so. Thinking about what has changed, I realised I was leaving my Toshiba SD bluetooth adapter in place when I take the laptop home. With it removed, the machine suspends perfecty everytime. (except wifi0). To start up again, I just insert the SD card and the bluetooth kicks back in.
    Right now the only way I can find to stop the bluetooth is to remove the card, anyone know if their is a "ifconfig wifi0 down" type of command I could use. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Re: 8.10 Problem: System Hangs on Restart/Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by darkopsyho View Post
    Shut down is now working but amarok not...
    Solution is to do nothing in system/preferensces/sound...
    Last time I messed with ALSA cost me a reinstall - I really don't think this is good.

I solved one problem with restart hanging (after two days of trying, searching etc) extremely simply - annoyingly so.

Ctrl Alt yourself to TTY6 (any from 1 to 6 will do, I just go to 6 cos it's next to F7)

Do 'sudo shutdown -P now' and put your password in.

This worked for me, and after that I booted and restarted, then shutdown from the menu and laughed - life is great again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

ive upgraded to 8.04 and the ackounts solution didn't work for me. When im shutting down, my pc ends with an empty desktop, with the mouse still functioning. only when i press 1 sec the power button, te shutdown continues without the flash screen, and the first phrase is gives is
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S99tpb: 26: tpb: not found
    no clue what that means, but after that, either shutdown or restart, the system always shots down. somethings not right....

Beans

I was having the the reboot and hang problem on my Dell Precision 480 and using the reboot=b option resolved this for me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...te=1&p=6779129

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345