Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

Beans

Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

Hello Everyone,

Well i decided to try an install my printer. I plugged it in it knew what it was but when i was selecting the driver it looks like there is every PIXMA ip**** series printer but mine. I decided to select the closest model which was the ip2000 but sure enough it didn't work. Any ideas on how i can get this working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Infatuas View Post
    but when i was selecting the driver it looks like there is every PIXMA ip**** series printer but mine.
    see http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=42

Don't forget to post your thanks (there, I mean) by hitting the blue ribbon/gold star to the bottom right of the message.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I've been happily using my iP1800 with Hardy for a few months using the debs by Jerryf (many, many thanks jerry).

But after upgrading to 8.10 it no longer wants to play.

So 2 questions;
    1) should it still work with the Hardy drivers on 8.10?
    If not 2) has anyone found debs for 8.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

mine was working fine under hardy, but no longer works in intrepid. The printer is recognized, it just doesnt print. Im guessing we need some intrepid drivers for this printer, since its popular, its bound to happen, but this is frustrating loosing a printer after every upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Naegling23 View Post
    mine was working fine under hardy, but no longer works in intrepid. The printer is recognized, it just doesnt print. Im guessing we need some intrepid drivers for this printer, since its popular, its bound to happen, but this is frustrating loosing a printer after every upgrade.
    OK, I've got my iP1800 working on Intrepid 8.10!

If upgraded from 8.04 then:-
    download from: http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/E...os%3d%3dLinux&
    the IJ Printer Driver Ver. 2.70 for Linux (rpm Package for iP1800 series)

As this is an RPM package we need to install Alien to convert it to a deb

In terminal window:-
    steve@davis-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install alien

Remove any packages no longer required:-
    steve@davis-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove

Now convert:-
    steve@davis-desktop:~$ sudo alien -k cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386.rpm
    (this assumes the rpm is in your Home directory)

You may need to go to System > Administration > Printing
    to reconfigure your printer and run Print Test Page

Hope this works for you Naegling23.

If 8.10 is a fresh install (i.e. not an upgrade) you will also need the cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm

Convert & install this in the same way (not tested, as I haven't had to do this).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Angry Re: Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

Sorry, missed out the most important line, installing the driver.

Now convert:-
    steve@davis-desktop:~$ sudo alien -k cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386.rpm
    (this assumes the rpm is in your Home directory)

Now install:-
    steve@davis-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-ip1800series_2.70-1_i386.deb

You may need to go to System > Administration > Printing
    to reconfigure your printer and run Print Test Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hmmm, still doesnt seem to be working for me. I'll try a few things and ill let you know if I get it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

nope, cant seem to get this to work, does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

This weekend I took a second computer, did a clean install of 8.10 and used my method above to install drivers. I was surprised to find I could not print.

So I did a fresh install of 8.04, applied all the updates and installed the drivers. I could print at this stage. So then I upgraded to 8.10 and added the driver again, now it won't print.

I've wasted hours looking for differences between the printer friendly computer #1 & the non-printing computer#2. I've looked at any .conf that may be printer related. I've checked cups & ghostprint installed packages, but just can't find a difference which fixes the problem.

The only glimmer of hope is that I have a working computer, so its possible, and I'm sure someone out there has the answer.

The system(cups) does recognise that there is a Canon iP1800 connected, and it shows the status (i.e. "idle", "processing" & so on). But the printer won't print!

If anyone has any suggestions re: files to copy from computer #1 to #2 I'll happily give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have gotten the ip1800 working with intrepid!! or at least mostly working. Here is how I did it.

Download cnijfilter-common_2.70-2_i386.deb and cnijfilter-ip1800_2.70-2_i386-hardy.deb

From here: http://www.gnupanama.com/error-en-ca...do/2008/10/20/

cnijfilter-ip1800_2.70-2_i386-hardy.deb will not install because of failure to resolve a dependency.

So now edit the dependencies in cnijfilter-ip1800_2.70-2_i386-hardy.deb so that it will install; using this method: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636724

Now you can install your printer as normal under administration-->printing.

After installing the driver, printer prints normally. "Canon Pixma iP1800 series" appears in system-->preferences but does not open when clicked on. I have not found away to switch the printer to only print in gray-scale.

Update: November 12, 2008
    Sorry I forgot about the issue of the package not finding /etc/init.d/cupsys.

It seems that there is a transition in package names, the old name was cupsys and new one is cups. What I did was create a new file in /etc/init.d and called it "cupsys". I then copied the contents of /etc/init.d/cups using gedit into my new file called cupsys. I don't know if it is necessary to copy the contents of "cups" or if a dumpy file is just needed.

It would be nice if someone with more knowledge could re-package the driver for Intrepid but until then this seems to get the printer working.
    Last edited by N'ko; November 12th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast