Thread: how to make drive icons appear on right side?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

how to make drive icons appear on right side?

i have a stupid question about gnome.. for example, i want all my cd/dvd icons appear on the right side of desktop and i want them stretched. can i do that and how? i can do that for one icon, but gnome doesn't remember that, so when i insert another cd it is small icon on left side..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: how to make drive icons appear on right side?

Quote Originally Posted by Entheogen View Post
    i have a stupid question about gnome.. for example, i want all my cd/dvd icons appear on the right side of desktop and i want them stretched. can i do that and how? i can do that for one icon, but gnome doesn't remember that, so when i insert another cd it is small icon on left side..
    I believe you can accomplish that with the configuration editor. if you do not have it installed, do so - it will appear under System Tools.So your path will be system tools > configuration editor > apps > nautilus > icon view, or > preferences.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Beans
    Distro

you are talking about gconf-editor? if so, i cannot find any configuration line that could help me..

Beans
    Distro

you are talking about gconf-editor? if so, i cannot find any configuration line that could help me..
    I just tried this, and it worked. Whether it will in your particular instance or not, I don't know.

Right-click desktop, uncheck "keep aligned" - move icons to where you want them, re-check "keep aligned". I restarted and and everything came back up on the right side, just where I left it.

Beans
    Distro

it works for one cd.. i set one dvd "Movies" to right corner and stretched it, and whenever i insert that disk it is on right side & stretched. but when i insert another disk, for example some data disk, it is on left corner & small icon.

Beans
    Distro

it works for one cd.. i set one dvd "Movies" to right corner and stretched it, and whenever i insert that disk it is on right side & stretched. but when i insert another disk, for example some data disk, it is on left corner & small icon.
    I bet a symlink would do it.

Beans
    Distro

i think symlink wouldnt appear when cd inserted and disappear when ejected..

Beans
    Distro

i think symlink wouldnt appear when cd inserted and disappear when ejected..
    I think you're right. This may be one of those deals where you spend a disproportionate amount of time looking for what turns out to be a completely simple 10-second solution.

Good Luck!