Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth wearing a KDE t-shirt

Beans

Wink Mark Shuttleworth wearing a KDE t-shirt

At Linuxtag on Saturday, a meeting of Kubuntu and KDE contributors was held in order to improve the collaboration of both projects. The aim was to to talk about the common future of both projects. Jonathan Riddell and Mark Shuttleworth from Canonical attended the meeting. Later in his keynote speech to the conference, Mark publicly committed to Kubuntu as an essential product for Canonical and showed his commitment by wearing a KDE t-shirt.
    http://dot.kde.org/1147097810/

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mark Shuttleworth wearing a KDE t-shirt

nice

Beans

about time

Beans
    Hidden!

But I would rather see a unification between gnome/gtk and kde/qt. Linux in general would gain from having ONE programming- and user interface

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I catrched the ending of his speech at LinuxTag, he was wearing a KDE t-shirt but really who cares.

On the same day I was btw. wearing a Trolltech t-shirt - does that in anyway make me less of a GNOME fanboy? (it's a really nice t-shirt though, very soft and comfy).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

well, mark shuttleworth is the founder/leader of the ubuntu project. so as a figurehead, what he does and wear does have political implications among the ubuntu/kubuntu community.
    i for one use kubuntu. i tried gnome but the lack of options makes me feel constrained, so im glad that kubuntu will get the appropriate amount of attention, which sadly it hasnt as of now.

Beans

Starting with Dapper Drake, the next release of Kubuntu to be released at the beginning of June, Canonical will ship CD sets of Kubuntu in the same manner as it did with Ubuntu in the past.
    This is awesome news! Kubuntu CDs nice pressed as the Ubuntu ones! And in the FAQ I read it said that Kubuntu CDs won't be a future scope unless somebody finances it. These news are just great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Mwahaha! First Linus Torvalds advises users to switch to KDE (check it out, it's a relatively recent comment too), now Mark Shuttleworth joins! We can take over the world!

Yeah, OK, I kid, I kid. I fully respect the choice of GNOME users (though I'd take KDE every time), and the ideals of freedesktop.org are certainly admirable. Also, the metting was about KDE and Kubuntu, so the T-shirt was completely justified and understandable as a way of showing his committment to Kubuntu.

I think it's good news too. As a Kubuntu user myself, I'm always happy to hear about better support for my OS of choice. I'd still choose to download an image through BitTorrent and burn it myself rather than waiting for a CD to be delivered to me though. First off, I'm impatient, and my ADSL line can have both a live and install image on my PC in a matter of hours (burning a couple of CDs only take minutes on my new rewriter). Second, it's cheaper for Canonical (CD-Rs are ten for a penny these days, making a proper CD and mailing it costs a lot more), which is good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why don't Chicago pizza makers and New York pizza makers just join forces and make the ultimate Midwest-East Coast pizza?

Choice just confuses people, and having more than one type of pizza wastes resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Why don't Chicago pizza makers and New York pizza makers just join forces and make the ultimate Midwest-East Coast pizza?

Choice just confuses people, and having more than one type of pizza wastes resources.
    I was going to say something about the rivalry of KDE and GNOME being pointless, but then this precise point just hit me and I moderated my stance. Choice is good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast