x.game start
    Selecting: start
    Starting:
    Starting Daemon:

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
    Release Date: 2010-03-17
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-27-server i686 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux alex-desktop 2.6.32-24-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 19 01:12:52 UTC 2010 i686
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=217093d2-b7d5-41b5-81d7-e8f8393622ae ro vga=792 quiet quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280x1024-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap
    Build Date: 21 July 2010  12:47:34PM
    xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Aug 26 00:23:23 2010
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    Program: 
    alex@alex-desktop:~$ Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "debian-menu.xml"

(gnome-terminal:2332): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_map_unlock_path: assertion `entry != NULL && entry->lock_count > 0' failed
    also some games doesn't start automatically i have to run them from terminal in openbox
    Last edited by alexandrius; August 25th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: The Best Way To Play Games On Ubuntu

Hey people, is this thread dead already? That so bad, I really liked the feature and some issues i liked resolved.

Like the above, i don't have audio in the new x-server, instead the audio is directed to main first x-server, must be related to some Pulseaudio server feature.

Secondly, when quiting the openbox, even the first x-server closes, going back to a login screen, this is bad because every running application i had in the first x-server gets shutdown.

And for the last, does it really need to have open box? if i start a new x-server edfault style it just opens an simple console and then i can open any game i want, but still i have the audio issue. Does it really gives a improved performance, wouldn't it give more without openbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your sound is not working on the other Xsessions run "sudo chmod 777 /dev/snd"

Beans

This thread is quite old, but this script is worth to be more sponsorized, it works like a charm , very good job. (remeber the 775 permission to /dev/snd )

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Had never thought about this before, interesting

Beans

Hi,

I recently clicked on this thread for the dust time in a long time and I was surprised to see that people were still using this script. It's good to see that you have fixed many of the problems with it. And you could probably dhow me a thing or two about running second X11 sessions in Ubuntu.

I did however leave this script in favour of writing a small perl application / script that does a similar job. I've recently done some more work on it and it now works in a much safer way than my original BASH script, by creating new temporary configuration files for xinit and openbox without touching those already in place.

Maybe if anyone's still using this script or interested in it they could go and give my new one a shot. It's located here:

http://code.google.com/p/xgamer/

I'll repost some of this on my initial post.

(edit) Apparently I don't have the access rights to edit my original post any more. If anyone can grant me that it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mikeym; September 22nd, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789