Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Ubuntu Have First Party Support?

Beans

Does Ubuntu Have First Party Support?

Does anyone here know how Ubuntu works? Seems I can't get good answers to the questions I have. I'm interested in learning about how Ubuntu is designed, and why it is designed the way it is!

Does Ubuntu Have First Party Support?

In my mind first party support means that the developers of Ubuntu support the design of the system such that users of Ubuntu can use first party sources for various components of the system, and thereby integrate applications from first party sources without breaking the underlying Ubuntu system. Such an approach would make Ubuntu modular, and dynamic, capable of change, as opposed to static and prohibitive, it would also allow users of Ubuntu to take steps building their own systems without having to rely on singular sources, and allow them to use the best possible, and most secure sources.

It could be, that it's loosely true, but not entirely the case. There are tons of potential system components for example, besides merely the kernel, and hardware drivers, nearly every aspect of the system has a first party, that Ubuntu draws from, to create the Ubuntu operating system.

Also, when I say "does Ubuntu support," I am talking about the people that actually design the operating system in this case, and not the forum mods. There seems to be a lot of confusion with basic communication on the forums, we clearly are not rising to meet the standards that *Community* requires! But I will keep trying...

Does Ubuntu Have First Party Support For Modular Components Of The System? Which?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Does Ubuntu Have First Party Support?

Not a help request. Please move it to some other place, lock it, or delete.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Not a help request. Please move it to some other place, lock it, or delete.
    Well I am asking for help, in learning about how Ubuntu works.... Maybe instead of demanding that posts be moved, or taken down, or arguing with them, the members of Ubuntu forums could attempt to actually help people!

We might actually get more people in the forum...if you guys would stop driving them away like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not entirely clear what you are asking, but Canonical (who develops Ubuntu) does provide paid support, if that's what you mean.

Canonical doesn't provide free support other than through volunteers on Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

What do you think third party support means?

Beans

You haven't defined what you mean by 'first party support' but it seems to be something that is not part of a basic Linux or Ubuntu and is generally referred to as 3rd party. Do you mean something not in the repositories? Software in the repositories is tested and if you want 3rd party software, you are free to do that but there is a greater likelihood it won't work properly.

Such an approach would make Ubuntu modular, and dynamic, capable of change, as opposed to static and prohibitive, it would also allow users of Ubuntu to take steps building their own systems without having to rely on singular sources, and allow them to use the best possible, and most secure sources.
    That's pretty vague. Static and prohibitive?? By singular sources do you mean the Ubuntu server repositories which contain over 20000 pieces of software from a variety of sources?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hyperlinxe View Post
    What do you think third party support means?
    You were asking about first party, not third party. Canonical is the first party for Ubuntu.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

No, and I will give you an example.

The first party source for GNU, is GNU, which makes up the bulk of the system components

The first party source for Linux, is Linux, which comprises the Linux kernel

and, now I am simply asking you, what third party sources mean to you, for the benefit of communicating with each other!

Beans

One of the reasons I'm curious is because on ubuntu/canonicals website I see that Ubuntu is represented as free, and open, and modular

Another reason I ask, is because I like to customize Ubuntu, and want to take advantage of it's modular characteristics as advertised

Beans

the developers of Ubuntu support the design of the system such that users of Ubuntu can use first party sources for various components of the system, and thereby integrate applications from first party sources without breaking the underlying Ubuntu system
    Canonical is the first party you are referring to so how does the above sentence make any sense. The underlying system is the same as the first party source which is Canonical. Your statement would make some sense if you were referring to third party sources, sources with no affiliation or connection to Canonical/Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast