Thread: rtcwake help

Beans

rtcwake help

I'm using rtcwake on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS to automate sleeping and waking the computer at certain times. The settings say that the display should turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity, but when the computer wakes automatically with rtcwake, the display never turns off - instead, it just shows a black screen with nothing but the mouse. If I wiggle the mouse around manually or press a button on the keyboard, the desktop will appear and then 5 minutes later, the display will turn off properly. I looked into ways of automating keyboard/mouse inputs, but this seems very challenging with Wayland. Are there any other workarounds for this?

Beans

Re: rtcwake help

Your computer takes a nap, then wakes up, but when it wakes up, it is not fully awake yet! That is an interesting problem.

It sounds like your process needs rethinking. You let the monitor turn off after 5 minutes, then at some point the system goes to sleep,

then at some point, the system wakes up from sleep. I would try removing the step in your process to turn off the monitor, and let

the system sleep, and then wake up again.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/rtcwake.8.html
    Some PC systems can’t currently exit sleep states such as mem
    using only the kernel code accessed by this driver. They need
    help from userspace code to make the framebuffer work again.
    -n, --dry-run
    This option does everything apart from actually setting up
    the alarm, suspending the system, or waiting for the alarm.