Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think these stats are due to Unity?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Do you think these stats are due to Unity?

Say what you want but Mint is getting stronger. I think a congratulations is in order for as much progress as they have made in the short time they have been around.

Ubuntu has multi-millionaire backing. What does mint have?

It's called donations.

People are curious, sure. The hit-per-day don't mean anything? What it does mean is that Unity is NOT as well received as projected.

My question would be how many Ubuntu followers are migrating to Mint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bluexrider View Post
    Say what you want but Mint is getting stronger. I think a congratulations is in order for as much progress as they have made in the short time they have been around.

Ubuntu has multi-millionaire backing. What does mint have?

It's called donations.

People are curious, sure. The hit-per-day don't mean anything? What it does mean is that Unity is NOT as well received as projected.

My question would be how many Ubuntu followers are migrating to Mint?
    I personally migrated AWAY from Mint (too many bugs, fried a graphics card). The 'progress' Mint has been able to make is due to the fact that mainstream Mint is nothing more than Ubuntu with a skin and a custom menu. Mint 12 for instance is just Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3 and tint2...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So you are blaming a bad graphics card on the OS? How lame.

As you stated Mint is a made over Ubuntu. So through your own deduction Ubuntu is at fault.

Get a grip, hold on tight cause this is the ride of your life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So you are blaming a bad graphics card on the OS? How lame.

As you stated Mint is a made over Ubuntu. So through your own deduction Ubuntu is at fault.
    Do you actually USE Mint? Because I did... And yes, the MintMenu search would hang your system and use 100% of your processing power until you either cut power to your computer, or it fried your parts. I don't know if they ever fixed that bug (it was a pretty big issue on their forums when I first came to the scene). Last I checked, Ubuntu's dash works without crashing your system...

Because of the fact that Mint is built over Ubuntu, it will ALWAYS have the same bugs, plus more, that the equivalent Ubuntu release has. For that reason I'd prefer to simply use Ubuntu. The same could be said for Debian vs. Ubuntu, but I like the changes Ubuntu makes compared to basic Debian. I don't like Mint's changes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes Mike I do. I have also use Pinguy, SuperOS, Zorin and a number of others but you know what?

Mint has taken a nicely working OS as Ubuntu and tried to make it a little better. I don't agree with the philosophy of dolling out distros every 6 months.

It doesn't work the bugs out.

Right now I use Katya. Its working for ME and as others may not agree. My personal opinion is just that. An opinion. Yours will differ, so be it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    I personally migrated AWAY from Mint (too many bugs, fried a graphics card). The 'progress' Mint has been able to make is due to the fact that mainstream Mint is nothing more than Ubuntu with a skin and a custom menu. Mint 12 for instance is just Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3 and tint2...
    So according to your argument above, can we conclude that Ubuntu is nothing more than Debian with a new skin and some tweaks?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ibutho View Post
    So according to your argument above, can we conclude that Ubuntu is nothing more than Debian with a new skin and some tweaks?

Now @ibutho,

No ganging up on Mike. It's his opinion, however wrong it may be.

Beans

Now @ibutho,

I couldn't resist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ibutho View Post
    Now @ibutho,

Except mike brought up his response in this thread. Here it is again, for those who don't bother reading threads: The same could be said for Debian vs. Ubuntu, but I like the changes Ubuntu makes compared to basic Debian. I don't like Mint's changes.

No need to get snippy because he doesn't like your distro of choice. (Oh, and nice way to passively gang up on a guy while attempting to take the high road! Yay! )

Back on topic!

I haven't used Mint ever, but their version of Gnome 3 looks rather nice. Might give 12 a look when it comes out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kabloink View Post
    I don't want to get into Unity bashing, but I highly suspect it has something to do with the desktop. People don't like change for changes sake.
    That's exactly right. I believe OpenOffice gained quite a boost of popularity when Microsoft started the whole Ribbon thing in Office 2007, a bar with picture buttons... I guess the idea was so that the illiterate people could use Word...?

The Unity dock could be super fast and have brilliant 3D effects running smoothly and use less system resources than Gnome 2.x, the whole idea of it is just not familiar for actual work. Too much eye candy and not enough thought put into how many clicks are needed to do things. The dock is quite smart really in the sense it finds apps quite well, however we're just more used to the classic desktop.

And there's also the case for installing Linux distros on older PCs. A year ago you could have installed the newest version of Ubuntu on a PC that was having trouble running Windows XP and it worked like a charm. Faster, more reliable and more stable. But now we're progressing, apparently.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast