Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gnome 2.24 & 2.26 roadmap: what features you looking forward to?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: gnome 2.24 & 2.26 roadmap: what features you looking forward to?

tabbed nautilus == WIN!

Beans

Re: gnome 2.24 & 2.26 roadmap: what features you looking forward to?

slow and steady (development) wins the race...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    They don't appear to have any intention of giving Nautilus proper multiple wallpaper support,
    No, there's someone working on it:

http://gsocblog.jsharpe.net/archives/8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    How about fixing the clock so that you can stylize the text in it too? Are Gnome developers even capable of listening?
    /apps/panel/clock_screen0/prefs/custom_format:
    Code:
    <span size="small" color="#666">%a %d %b</span> <b>%H:%M </b>
    Also set the "format" key to "custom".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Biggest features for me:

Empathy will finally be included. I understand the reasons it wasn't included sooner, but it does provide some awesome opportunities.
    PA integration is also fantastic. PA has the potential to pull together multimedia on the Linux platform. With proper implementation, it could be far more than just a sound server.
    Better desktop integration for Cheese. I love that program (save for one irritating bug, which I think is fixed in this release, too) and would love to see it used more fully.
    Broader use of GVFS. This will mean a more cohesive experience, and hopefully more innovation as its benefits are seen across the platform.
    Also, the inclusion of Clutter is a promising sign. This could mean richer UIs in the short term, and possibly broader improvements to GTK+ itself in the long term.

I'm not all that thrilled with tabbed Nautilus, to be honest. What I'd love would be split view. That'd be something. As it is, tabs may actually slow me down. Another thing I'd like to see in Nautilus (and please, let me know if it's possible now) is the ability to truncate file names to give even spacing. Files with long names throw the entire display into chaos.
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoken View Post
    The latest dolphin already has tabs and column view. It also has grouped view, split view, the drop-down menu pathbar, integrated terminal, and on and on.
    I've always used konqueror and wanderd what the noise was about with dolphin. Recently started using KDEmod4.1 and I must say I really like dolphin, I use it way more than konqueror these days. When I used Gnome I recall not liking nautilus as it felt like a severely lacking tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coolen View Post
    I'm not all that thrilled with tabbed Nautilus, to be honest. What I'd love would be split view. That'd be something. As it is, tabs may actually slow me down. Another thing I'd like to see in Nautilus (and please, let me know if it's possible now) is the ability to truncate file names to give even spacing. Files with long names throw the entire display into chaos.
    agree on the split view. and i think that somebody is working on the name thingy (when the filenames is too long use 3 dots , right?)

Quote Originally Posted by yatt View Post
    While I didn't read the whole thing (long changelogs are long), but tabbed browsing in Nautilus is the only thing that really stood out.

What I would like to see is a feature where if you hold a dragged item over a open folder, it opens that folder.
    they made a patch for that in like 2003 but they can't use it because Apple has a patent on it.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I've always used konqueror and wanderd what the noise was about with dolphin. Recently started using KDEmod4.1 and I must say I really like dolphin, I use it way more than konqueror these days. When I used Gnome I recall not liking nautilus as it felt like a severely lacking tool.
    Your recollection would be completely accurate. I think they should take a hint when file managers like Thunar and PCManFM both claim to leave out features because speed is the most important factor to them, yet they still have relative feature parity with Nautilus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoken View Post
    I think they should take a hint when file managers like Thunar and PCManFM both claim to leave out features because speed is the most important factor to them, yet they still have relative feature parity with Nautilus.
    Think you hit the nail on the head there.
    When using openbox/lxde i usually install pcmanfm & emelfm2 and would say they 'feel' on par with nautilus from what i recall.

I'm not trying to knock gnome here but nautilus used to frustrate the hell out of me back when I still used gnome. I'm going to install ubuntu in a wm just to experience gnome again.
    Last edited by mips; August 27th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    agree on the split view. and i think that somebody is working on the name thingy (when the filenames is too long use 3 dots , right?)
    That's done as of 2.23.90:

Code:
    Major changes in 2.23.90 are:
    * Truncate long item labels in the icon view and on the desktop
       + icon_view/text_ellipsis_limit and desktop/text_ellipsis_limit GConf
         preferences added (defaults to three lines)
       + expand when hovering, or when selecting a file
    [...]
    A Fedora user

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast