Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinking wifi LED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Blinking wifi LED

It sounds like you just need the proper permissions. Just open a terminal window and type
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    then enter your password. This opens a window which has the proper permissions. You should be about to browse from this window to the directory (folder) you want and simply drap and drop the file into it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Anyone know if this situation will be fixed eventually? If not, please post if you find out anything.

I know blinking on activity is supposedly how the new driver was designed to work, but it would be great if there was an option to change the behavior to something more sane...

maybe like this:

off = wifi not working/ not on
    blinking = only when making a connection
    on solid = connected

The constant blinking is very distracting on my laptop. That was one of the things that drove me back to Hardy for now, and I don't think I can run any linux distro that operates that way without a guaranteed way to change it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm surprised that more people are not totally irritated by this. That blinking light is going to drive someone to murder. My electrical tape trick (see above) is preserving my sanity for now, but it sure makes my laptop look tacky.

Beans

This is a very horrible feature, and I either stop using ubuntu after half an hour and switch to windows (dual boot yay) or I turn the computer off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this may sound a bit childish, but if that blinking wifi light remains a part of the kernels from now on, I will probably abandon Linux entirely for OSX. That may sound a bit extreme, and I'm sure the light doesn't annoy some people as much as it does others (depending on hardware design and an individual's ability to tune it out), but I really can't stand it, and my abandonment would be for practical reasons more than anything else. I just hope someone eventually corrects this in a future kernel.

Of course, there is yet hope. If this gets fixed in Jackalope or a future Ibex update, or even in another Linux distro that proves suitable, all is forgiven.
    Last edited by laptoplinux; November 12th, 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: adding to post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by laptoplinux View Post
    I know this may sound a bit childish, but if that blinking wifi light remains a part of the kernels from now on, I will probably abandon Linux entirely for OSX. That may sound a bit extreme, and I'm sure the light doesn't annoy some people as much as it does others (depending on hardware design and an individual's ability to tune it out), but I really can't stand it, and my abandonment would be for practical reasons more than anything else. I just hope someone eventually corrects this in a future kernel.

Of course, there is yet hope. If this gets fixed in Jackalope or a future Ibex update, or even in another Linux distro that proves suitable, all is forgiven.
    sound like a bug that intel driver and not a feature. Why don't open a ticket on launchpad if you would like it fixed.

Just found this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/157418

You should post a followup to launchpad to say you can also confirm the bug.
    Last edited by iponeverything; November 12th, 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Beans

It seems there is a bug filed for it
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/250211 (this one is the main bug the above one is the duplicate)

My fix is to have a file in /etc/network/if-up.d/ with permission to execute as root (chmod +x as root) the file is as follows:

david@user18:~$ cat /etc/network/if-up.d/stopblink
    #!/bin/sh
    echo none > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/0000:0b:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:assoc/trigger
    echo none > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/0000:0b:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:radio/trigger
    echo none > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/0000:0b:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:RX/trigger
    echo none > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/0000:0b:00.0/leds/iwl-phy0:TX/trigger

echo none > /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0:RX/trigger
    echo none > /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0:TX/trigger
    echo none > /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0:radio/trigger
    echo none > /sys/class/leds/iwl-phy0:assoc/trigger
    it is overkill, but i don't really care. It stops blinking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Overkill??? NEVER MIND!!!!!
    The light has finally stopped flashing and now I can start to enjoy Ubuntu again.
    Thank you so much ... I was on the point of killing something myself!!!

Beans

thank you! i was getting ready to stab someone, because of this damn light.
    the script works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

laptoplinux -

Seriously, using a little black tape is way less of a headache than going back to windows. Time required to cut and apply tape: 30 seconds. Time required to reinstall windows: way more than it's worth. Plus you would be stuck with windows, which will make your computer far uglier than a little piece of black tape.

davidY -

Thank you! I want to try this, but first, how much overkill is this? I admit I don't really understand what your script does (I tried), so I just want to know if I'm screwing something else up.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast